3 of 3 crypto experiment.
Coppertop here again
I spent +/-2 hrs sawing the perimeter inch or so off the exterior and chipping picking the top 2 inches of surface soil and roots with a mai-tu-lee (Lao for chop sticks). My old lady pitching in.
Spent +2hours picking and chipping 1/2 the root mass off number two. + a quick jet of water.
1and 2 were planted in shallow -wide pans, with 1/3 turface and 2/3 pine bark, two be mounded with mulch.
3 was the best tree with a inch base and lots of branches. I now had a more practice at handling these super compacted root systems. The worst I've ever seen. The substrate was really sand and the remaining inner layers of bark chips, and a matrix of dry root straw packed nearly as tight as sphagnum blocks.
I picked and clipped down to the the root flare, sawed the edges off and picked for 4 hours. Roots hanging.
I'veleft it to soak in a bucket of super thrive and seaweed overnight still has a packed area under the base.
I have a box 2x as wide than required but shollow. This one I think I'll pot with pumice and pine bark.
It will be hot here in z7 / 80-90/ SC in a month and We are always in a summer drought. I can't remember seeing taxis shrubbery in my area. That concerns me a little. An occasional black dragon gives me hope.
I'm all up for suggestions on the third one
Sorry for the long post
I just got rolling.