5 year old Japanese Black Pine

My JPB is 5 years old in development. The trunk is currently 1-1.25" thick. Do I need to be letting this tree grow wild for next few years or do I candle prune and needle pluck on the lower portion of the tree and let the sacrificials at the top grow without touching?

(Frank Corrigan) #2

Can you upload a picture? It would also help if you suggested what your goals for the tree are? Desired trunk size, overall finished size? Looking forward to seeing your project.
You mentioned five years in development, how old is the tree? Questions, Questions,Questions, hope you don’t mind.

Sure, my goals are to grow the trunk to 3”.

(Frank Corrigan) #4

Thanks for the picture. Retain and or replace the sacrifice top leader until you reach the desired trunk size. In the meantime you can manage the lower portion with cutback to try and increase the number of lower branches and control their size.

(Jonas Dupuich) #5

Looks like you’re off to a good start. Leaving more foliage on the top part of the tree will speed up trunk thickening.

Thanks for the help. I plan to re-pot this tree for the first time into a similar pot, twice as large as the one its in now. I’m in Florida, is now a good time?

(Jonas Dupuich) #7

If you don’t expect further freezes (hard to say this year) now is a good time to repot. Anytime up until right before the buds start elongating will work.