Adding Beneficial Bacteria to Air Layer

(Darth Masiah) #1

I was wondering if putting a product like Recharge in the water you soak your sphagnum moss in before you use it to air layer would help rooting? wouldn’t the new roots like the beneficial bacteria in the rhizoshere of moss?

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Good question - could make for an interesting test (some layers with it, some without). I haven’t used Recharge or products like it so I’d be curious to hear if it could help.

(Darth Masiah) #3

i went ahead and airlayered this privet on may 26 using moss soaked in water/Recharge mix. i wanted to do more airlayers to see if the Recharge sped the process up any but i didnt have the time. oh well. it looks like it produced plenty of roots all the way around the trunk already, so im pretty happy. i was thinking of potting it up this weekend. anybody think i should wait longer to sever this guy?

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

You’re likely the best judge about when to remove this - does it seem like you have enough roots to support the the tree through summer? I haven’t layered privet so I don’t know what to expect with them.

I usually wait until fall to remove layers but it does look like you have some good roots.

Another alternative, if you think you need more roots, is to open the bag and create a pot around the layer so more roots can grow into bonsai soil before it comes off.

(Darth Masiah) #5

thanks for the suggestion. i was actually thinking of doing that, but then i started thinking about the stray dogs that messed up my groundlayers from years past. ill check it out this weekend and probably pull it.

(Darth Masiah) #6

june 30th
looked like lots of roots so i cut the trunks down (big one was over 12’ high!) and then separated it.

august 4th
first bud to pop

august 10th
i saw a few more pimples forming so i guess things are going ok.

(Jonas Dupuich) #7

Awesome, that was fast! Will be fun to see how quickly it pops out.

(Darth Masiah) #8

8/15/18

(Darth Masiah) #9

9/1/18
privets grow fast

(Jonas Dupuich) #10

That’s cool - looks like it might be time to wire before long.

(Darth Masiah) #11

my current plan is not to touch it till it gets through the winter. i want it as strong as it can be going into dormancy. i lost 2 privets last year and a weak airlayer this year to borers so im a little paranoid about health. when the buds start opening in spring im going to cut everything back hard and hopefully get twice as many new shoots to pop for future branching. similar to how chris guise cut back this privet.

(i love this privet)
wire marks are really ugly on this species, so i want to avoid it as much as possible. a lot of clip clip guy practice coming up. after working with privets and my kotohime maple i think id really enjoy growing trident maples.

(Darth Masiah) #12

10/7/18
still going strong. this airlayer might’ve been a success

cooler morning temps had these guys knocked out

(Frank Corrigan) #13

Interesting, could you share a picture of the top portion you air layered off. The bottom portion that was reduced seems to be pushing new shoots nicely.

(Darth Masiah) #14

this whole tree is the airlayer. you can see the stump in the 5th pic from the top. i just cut off the two trunks when i separated the layer. the main trunk was at least 14’ tall and the small one was about 3’ long.

(Frank Corrigan) #15

Great, got it, thanks.

(Darth Masiah) #16

cat attack! i was messing with this tree yesterday trying to clean up some damage and thought i’d make a video. lord, i cant wait to get my own property one day.

(Jonas Dupuich) #17

Looking good (despite the cat attack)! In general, it can be helpful to let the grow for a while after separation to let the new roots get established. It’s fine to wire a few shoots if necessary but I typically just let the tree grow until I’m confident there are enough roots to support the tree and help it recuperate after any bonsai work.

(Roland King) #18

been wondering the exact same thing as you OP. thanks for videos and photos, really helpful and they do look good!

that sounds like a good recommendation!