Airlayer Impatience

(Darth Masiah) #1

i impatiently airlayered this little black sugary berry producing tree (not sure the species) in march last year. i checked it in june and it had healed up, so i cut the cambium back again, right above the ring and all below it. i just checked it again yesterday and it didnt look anything like this the first time it healed. i can see a flair forming above the ring and the callus looks weird. do you think roots are going to come out of that, or am i going to have to cut it again? anyways, i thought the pics looked cool and wanted to share. have a good one.

yesterday

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

That actually looks pretty normal for layers. Once the bumpy callus forms, I’ll often re-cut the layer half-way through the callus - the roots typically emerge from this callus. You can also try using root hormone along the cut area.

(Darth Masiah) #3

thanks for the tips. i was just checking out your post Japanese maple airlayer - a check up, and have a better understanding of whats going on. i noticed roots emerged right where the callus ended and your recut began. if you just left a sliver of callus between the recut and the bark, wouldnt the roots come out closer to the bark and cause a bit more taper? do you have a picture of how the nebari of that maple looks now? just wondering.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

The main thing is to get lots of roots at this point so I didn’t think about taper. I’d likely try to keep as much callus as I can up to the point where the taper suffers.

I no longer have the maple in my collection so I don’t know that I have any updated photos.