Airlayer Impatience

(Darth Masiah) #1

i impatiently airlayered this little black sugary berry producing tree (not sure the species) in march last year. i checked it in june and it had healed up, so i cut the cambium back again, right above the ring and all below it. i just checked it again yesterday and it didnt look anything like this the first time it healed. i can see a flair forming above the ring and the callus looks weird. do you think roots are going to come out of that, or am i going to have to cut it again? anyways, i thought the pics looked cool and wanted to share. have a good one.

yesterday

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

That actually looks pretty normal for layers. Once the bumpy callus forms, I’ll often re-cut the layer half-way through the callus - the roots typically emerge from this callus. You can also try using root hormone along the cut area.

(Darth Masiah) #3

thanks for the tips. i was just checking out your post Japanese maple airlayer - a check up, and have a better understanding of whats going on. i noticed roots emerged right where the callus ended and your recut began. if you just left a sliver of callus between the recut and the bark, wouldnt the roots come out closer to the bark and cause a bit more taper? do you have a picture of how the nebari of that maple looks now? just wondering.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

The main thing is to get lots of roots at this point so I didn’t think about taper. I’d likely try to keep as much callus as I can up to the point where the taper suffers.

I no longer have the maple in my collection so I don’t know that I have any updated photos.

(Darth Masiah) #5

5/22/19
finally got around to checking up on this guy. about 5 roots grew by accident. :grin: i went ahead and recut the callus and used perlite instead of moss for the medium.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

Thanks for posting. Here is hoping the next stage shows lots of roots by this fall so you can separate and give the new roots frost protection if needed in your area.

(Jonas Dupuich) #7

The callus actually looked great. One tip for re-cutting is to cut across the callus as it’s easier for the tree to produce roots from the callus: https://bonsaitonight.com/2013/05/10/japanese-maple-air-layer-a-check-up/