Arkansas short needle pines (yellow pines)

(Dane Buxbaum) #1

I moved to Little Rock several years ago from Miami FL bringing with me a collection of subtropicals. They have done well here wintered in a temperature controlled greenhouse and brought outdoors for the rest of the year.

Almost immediately I noticed many beautiful examples of “natural bonsai” growing out of the numerous shale bluffs and rocky roadside terrain. About 4 years back I actually transplanted some of these and have managed to keep about half of them alive. There are two dominant pines in Arkansas. The loblolly and the short needle. The former being thinker, more robust in appearance and somewhat shorter, and the latter reaching great heights and having needles about half as long. For obvious reasons I chose to work on those to somewhat limited success.

None of them have truley THRIVED however. Has anyone worked on yellow pines to good success? I would appreciate any feedback regarding soil mix, fertilizers, watering, trimming etc. as oddly enough none of the local nursers know anything about these trees because they are considered native trash and not even sold commercially. But I swear the character of some of these trees, even in juveniles is often quite amazing.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I don’t have experience with the variety, but I’d expect the standard bonsai soil of lava, pumice and akadama to be a good starting point. What kind of soil are you using - and how much of the original soil is left in the pot?