Best time for repotting mugo pine

(jamie swords) #1

What do you guys recommend Autumn or spring? I though a dormant spring would be best but I’ve also seen autumn stated as the better time​:thinking::thinking:

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

In general early spring is great for repotting - just as the trees are waking up from dormancy - but I don’t know if there are special considerations for mugo.

(jamie swords) #3

Cheers jonas, the time you stated was what I thought too but then I’ve seen a couple of things where people claim Autumn to be better for mugo while they are still slightly in growth???

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

That could be. I’ve seen them repotted here in fall and spring and don’t know that there’s a big difference. Your best resource would be someone who lives in your climate who has worked with them a lot.

(jamie swords) #5

Cheers jonas :+1::+1: much appreciated input

(Philip Walker) #6

Hi Jamie,
I’m re-potting to larger pots 3 mugo pines that were grown from seed this weekend. They’re 2 years old. I live in Zone 8b according to the USDA website. I’m going to fertilize not heavily but medium within 30 days. Once a week till then, I’ll use diluted fish emulsion once a week. No root cutting! I’ll let you know how it goes…

(jamie swords) #7

Cheers Phillip and good luck mate​:+1::+1::+1:

(Philip Walker) #8

Thanks Jamie, Cheers as well!