Can anyone identify this tree species?

(Darth Masiah) #1

i figured this guy was an elm. i was wondering what cultiver it was. collected in Alabama.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Looks like a nice species. Am not familiar with trees in Alabama so I don’t have a guess, but it may be noted here: http://www.forestry.alabama.gov/TreeIDIndex.aspx?bv=5&s=1

(Darth Masiah) #3

thanks for the link. it would appear i have a winged elm. this was the only one i could find in the woods behind my work. all the sweet gums back there have wings on them, but no other trees. a bird must have pooped this tree for me to find. :bird::smile:

(Jack Earley) #4

Looks to me like a Zelcova.

(Darth Masiah) #5

it looks like zelcovas have single serrated leaves

(Jack Earley) #6

Great picture, then, I have no clue.

(Darth Masiah) #7

apparently snails love cut putty

(Veronica Harden) #8

No idea :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s a winged elm, Ulmus Alata. They respond really well to training, in my experience. Good luck!

(Darth Masiah) #10

thanks. im going to try an airlayer on one of the leaders next year.

(Darth Masiah) #11

could i make cuttings from these two leaders instead of trying to airlayer them? they’ll be three year old branches this coming spring. i was wondering if thats too old for a cutting to root with this species? they were still fairly green this year too.

(Frank Corrigan) #12

I typically select branches of 1/4 inch diameter or less for cuttings. I would not expect those to be successful. So based on your pictures i would use the side branches from the top pieces for cuttings. I have found the best results with shoots approximately 3 to 6 inches in length that have new wood emerging from last years wood just lignifying. So green emerging from brown. I keep an inch or so of the brown. Small side branches that can be torn off leaving a heel are excellent!

(Darth Masiah) #13

good looking out Frank. i appreciate the help.