Can you spot the difference?

(Frank Corrigan) #1

here is an Austrian black Pine with a grafted shoot from a Japanese Black pine. Can you spot the difference? The importance becomes evident as the tree progresses. The vigor of the JBP will show in the extra growth of the grafted scion. Creating an imbalance in the design and eventually an ugly graft.

Hi…I presume the apparent scar on lower front of trunk is where you cut off the rootstock?..and also the possible swelling above the scar as the scion develops faster than the rootstock?
how long ago did you do the graft?..Thank you

(Jonas Dupuich) #3

What’s funny is that it looks like a black pine grafted with Austrian on the right-hand branch. The lighter color makes me think black pine but the needle character looks Austrian.

(Frank Corrigan) #4

The scar on the lower part of the trunk is where a lower branch was cut off. It is Pinus Nigra on its own root stock. The swelling scion is indicative of the more vigorous growth of the Japanese Black Pine Scion. This is an experimental tree, no expectations of a Bonsai. I wished to test the viability and implications of grafting JBP onto Austrian Black Pine. The Austrian black pine is reputed to have much stronger root stock for colder weather climates.

(Frank Corrigan) #5

The other give away is the white candle on the scion, clearly JBP. My Austrian Black Pine always have smaller brownish candles. I also find the bark lighter and smoother than the JBP at least in the younger stock. Some that i planted in the hillside seven years ago have begun to form darker bark more similar to the JBP. My take away from this experiment is that the difference in vigor will be obvious and a detriment to even growth and quality development.