Hi BonsaiTonight community,
I would like to share with you a couple of pics of my Chinese Elm, which drop the vast majority of its leaves in July and August, in order to know your thoughts and suggestions on the issue affecting this plant.
I own this plant since December and didn’t observe its full-year cycle yet.
After a vigorous growth in spring, since July the leaves look overall weak, some are yellow with a brown area nearby the petiole.
Suspecting a root-problem I took the tree out of the pot but, to my knowledge, everything looks fine.
I’ve also checked the tree for spider mites (white sheet test) with no results.
Here’s a list of the key info related to this plant:
- local temperature: 82-89 F
- location: covered in a bright place (not in full sun due to the hot temperature)
- fertilizer: organic but interrupted in the beginning of July to avoid water loss from the roots in heat
- soil: sand and organic compost
- watering: every 2 days due to the deep pot and soil type
- additional treatments: B12 spray once a week
Looking forward to receiving your suggestions.