Colanders for pine taining?

(Justin) #1

hello Jonas, i was wondering where you order your colanders from, for training pines? i seen in a post you had a really big colander, i would love to have one like that…

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

(Raymond Mack) #3

Make sure to have at least 2 for each tree. I buy the cheapies from the dollar store. You can just place the entire colander in another just like it if the original colander gets brittle or damaged after a few years.

(Frank Corrigan) #4

I replace my colandars after about three seasons when they become very brittle. This is good timing as the root ball is ready for a larger container and further development. This week i shifted 150 4 year pines to grow boxes. The size of the pines and root ball requires a larger container and more stable base then a colandar.

(Sely) #5

Your right @Riversedgebonsai they do break down pretty fast, those cheap colanders. I do have to say that the pond pots do last quite some time. I’m still using the same one for the last 5 years.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

Agreed, i do prefer the shape of the colandar for early training though as opposed to the pond basket. The root ball has a flatter profile in the colandar. Over the years i found the pond basket created more downward growing roots and a higher profile rootball. It does last longer, but was also more expensive to purchase. The colandars last three years and cost 1.00. The pond baskets last five to seven years and cost me 7.99 .
I think both are good options and probably has to do with what is best for your particular purpose and how the local purchase options work out.
I find a variety of shapes and sizes are needed with the varying growth and requirements of the nursery trees.

(Sely) #7

Very, true accounting to availability. Most of mine are in nursery cans but I am trying out those fabric pots this year. Heard good things about them but not quite sure how they will respond in the heat of Texas. Colander do work extremely well but the exposure to uv seems to shorten the lifespan. I just wish someone could just make the colander with uv resistant plastic… maybe I should do that… good idea sely… thanks sely… only if I had the funds for it, maybe next time.

(Frank Corrigan) #8

My only experience with the fabric bags were pines i purchased from another grower a few years ago. They were a circle circus that took a lot of patience and sweat to unravel and start over again. Not sure if it was the brand or just left too long in the bag. Definitely grew roots with few escaping. Trunks were well developed, lower branching not so much. I would guess the bags were used to make the transition to nursery pots easier, not to develop well structured root balls. My reccomendation would be to check one or two for progress each spring and fall .

(Sely) #9

Thanks for the insight! I’ll take your advice on checking the roots to reassess on it’s progress. From what I’ve seen, it does look like they leave them in the bags far more then the recommended time. I was thinking every 2 to 3 years and moving them up to the next bag size.

(Frank Corrigan) #10

Keep in mind year 4 to seven is explosive growth, i would check a little more often if i was doing it. The change in uninterrupted growing seasons can be very dramatic. I am in zone 7b with sometimes three flushes per year. Not sure of your location but the amount of sun,water, nutrients can create quite a change under the right conditions. Particularily with a free draining soil that has the right mix of air, water and nutrients.

(Dennis Hawkins) #11

Hello Frank, I was reading your text about pond baskets and that you were paying 7.99 each. Well if you go on to Amazon you can buy 24 baskets for $46. thats around $1.93 each. Look for Active Aqua HG9SQBK 9-inch square baskets. Free shipping for Prime customer.

(Frank Corrigan) #12

Thanks, i am checking that out. ( 9 inch square is a useable size)

(Paul Pashley) #13

Consider air pots too - they perform the same role but you will probably never have to replace them.

I buy 12” pond baskets off the shelf at Lowe’s hardware stores for about $4 each. If you only need a few at a time it’s not too expensive.

(Frank Corrigan) #15

As your stock matures the larger sizes of grow boxes and anderson flats become valuable. The newer size of anderson flats is very useful. Called a deep propagation flat. 14 by 14 and 5 inches deep. When purchasing larger quantities approximately $2 each. I use these and the larger original size extensively for developing trees and yamadori.

(Justin) #16

i used and am still using pond pots…they work good i was just interested in the bigger colanders that i see jonas use for some of his pines…thanks everyone…

(Drew) #17

How big do you make these boxes… I grow all of my JBP’s in pond baskets but am thinking of putting a few into wooden boxes like yours now?

(Frank Corrigan) #18

I have experimented with various sizes over the years and settled on the following basic size for JBP and JRP.
I use 1 by 6 fence boards, prefer cedar as it lasts longer and is locally available. Have also used 1 by 10 pine shelving boards.
I like a depth of at least 4 inches of soil for the developing root ball. With the above fence boards and method of construction i cut the following pieces.
(1) Bottom 12 1/2 inches by 10 inches ( can be made up of two boards if using 1 by 6 fence boards instead of 1 by 10 shelving boards.
(2) Sides 10 inches by 6 inches
(2) Front and Back 14 inches by 6 inches
(3) Bottom Rails 10 inches by 1 1/2 inches
(2) Handles 11 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches
Approx 3 sq ft of material per box.

Exterior dimensions of box assembled is 14 by 14 by 6 3/4 inches.
Interior dimensions work out to 12 1/2 by 5 1/4 inches deep.
I drill 10 or 12 ( 1/4 ) inch holes in the bottom piece (s) for drainage and ventilation. If using two boards for the bottom i space 1/4 inch in the middle.
Hope this helps.