Collected Ponderosa

(Jeremiah Lee ) #1

Just sharing a Ponderosa I collected Oct of 2013. So far it seems to be doing well. I wonder about the long term health of the tree and worry that maybe the Central Coast of CA does not get quite cold enough to keep the tree resting long enough during the winter. What do you think about this? I think because of this I will likely graft Black Pine on to it. I like the tree because of the movement, deadwood and bark.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Wow - that tree looks awesome!

Good question about how Ponderosa do along the central coast - will be curious to hear if anyone has longish-term experience with them in the area. I think it’d make an intriguing black pine as well.

(Jeremiah Lee ) #3

I know that Boon has Ponderosa in his backyard that do well. I just looked up the average Highs and Lows of Nipomo, CA where I live and the East Bay. Pretty close, but a hair colder in the East Bay compared with Nipomo. I wonder if long term Ponderosa will do okay in my area. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is anyone else on the Central Coast with Ponderosa or another high mountain pine. It has been suggested to me that I could graft both new Black Pine foliage and roots onto the tree-which I am considering.

Ave. East Bay High and Lows:

Ave. Nipomo High and Lows

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Neat, the areas look pretty close temp-wise. Maybe collect some lessor ponderosa for experiments - grafting red or black pine, not grafting, etc. - and see how they do.

Some of my favorite grafted Ponderosa are Michael Hagedorn’s:

(eric) #5

Man, I’ve really got to convince you to take me collecting!

(jeff_lahr) #6

Great looking bark. I’m curious how the tree responds to the Central Coast climate. Have you ever asked George Muranaka if he’s tried growing some? Although there are some Ponderosa in the hills around Santa Ynez, my guess (based on some other trees I’ve tried to grow) is that a Ponderosa will survive but not thrive in Nipomo… Hope I’m wrong!

(Jeremiah Lee ) #7

Thanks guys! great advice Jonas. I have another Ponderosa currently that I collected this year, I’ll monitor both of them closely and would be great if I can get a few more next season. yes I love Hagerdorn’s grafted Ponderosas. Jeff-I hope you are wrong!:wink: But we shall see maybe you are correct. John Kirby suggested that maybe I graft both Black Pine roots and Foliage onto this tree. Thanks for the replies!

(eric) #8

My Ponderosa’s seem to do well in SF. But they didn’t like Thousand Oaks. I lost two good ones while I was there. I’d suggest that you sell me this one :smile:

(Dylan Ferreira) #9

Hi Jeremiah, may I ask what elevation this tree was collected at. I kind of think it might be a Jeffrey Pine.

(Jeremiah Lee ) #10

Hey Dylan i’m glad to see you on this forum! It’s hard to remember exactly what elevation this tree was from, however my best guess is somewhere between 6,000-8,000 feet. I’m curious what makes you think it might be Jeffrey? Jeffrey and Ponderosa are cousins or something like that right? I think this pine looks a bit different from many ponderosas i’ve seen, however the majority of the ponderosa i’ve seen as Bonsai are from the Rocky Mountains and this is from the Sierra.

(Dylan Ferreira) #11

Hi Jeremiah. in California, ponderosa pines tend to inhabit elevations between 3000 feet and 5000 feet. Jeffrey pines tend to inhabit elevations from 6000 feet to about 8,000 feet. The two species do overlap and are capable of interbreeding. Hybrids are common in the wild. jeffrey pines tend to have very long great green foliage where as california ponderosa pines have long green foliage. The rocky mountain ponderosa pine bonsai that I have seen all tend to have grey green foliage, but it tends to be shorter than Jeffrey pine foliage. I have never seen ponderosa pine in California form Krumholtz, but Jeffrey pines very readily form Krumholtz. As opposed to the California ponderosa pine, the Rocky Mountain ponderosa pine readily forms Krumholtz. Sorry for the very long response, but I could talk to trees all day.

(Dylan Ferreira) #12

I’m sorry. Typing on a phone is a task. Jeffrey pines have gray green foliage. Trust me, I normally have better grammar, showing and punctuation.

(Dan Wiederrecht) #13

Great looking tree Jeremiah! …Whatever it is…lol

I don’t think you’d need to graft roots on; at least not right away. Michael Hagedorn was explaining that the plant will generally adopt many of the characteristics of the new foliage. So, if you graft black pine on, the whole tree should eventually take on many of the behavioral characteristics of JBP. I don’t fully understand it, but it made sense the way Michael described it. Fascinating really. :smile:

(Jeremiah Lee ) #14

Thanks for the feedback Dan! I’m glad to hear that Michael said that. Especially because I know he has black pine grafted onto ponderosa. Really appriciate it!