Developing Young JBP

(Sam Frangione) #1

I had a question if you don’t mind answering. I have seen your garden tour, and have been reading your blog for years. How do you decide what needs to go, and what needs to stay on young pines in development?

I am asking in regards to this young JBP which was one of the first trees I grew. The exposed root tree has grown very well and the needles have gotten very long. I needle plucked/trimmed in the fall to keep small buds near the trunk from being shaded out.

The mass of foliage on the left will be left to thicken the trunk, but how do you I think I should approach the branches closer to the trunk? Where do you go from here on young pines you have in your garden?

Thanks!

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

I start by determining the trunk line and go from there. If I like the movement in the trunk, I use as much of it as possible. If there is a straight section on the trunk, I see if I can bend it or I reduce it by cutting back to young branch that I can bend.

Your tree is looking great - the question now is how much of the trunk you want to use. Do you have an idea about where you want to go with the tree?

(Sam Frangione) #3

Thanks for the help Jonas!

The tree is about the same size as some of your 3 year trees (JBP don’t grow as fast in NJ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I am thinking of making it a shohin informal upright, but I am open to other directions,

I have plenty of time to go! There is a long straight section separating the two masses of foliage. I can’t decide whether I should bend it up, or cut it back once the trunk gets thicker…

(Sam Frangione) #4

(Sam Frangione) #5

Or I can train it into a Shohin semi-cascade/cascade like It was originally

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

Those both look like good options, and both options require the tree to grow quite a bit. I’d let the trees grow freely this year to give the roots time to thicken up and then consider cutting the leader in 1-2 years (or more) depending on how the inner branches look at the time.

The important thing is that you have good movement on the lower part of the trunk and a few low branches that can be used to continue the leader if need be - this gives you good options for the future.

(Sam Frangione) #7

Thanks Jonas for the threads over the years, and for the help with this particular tree!