Exposed roots bonsai

(Alain Krizic) #1

Hi,

I’ve been aregular reader of Jonas’s blog for years now, and I’ve always found very useful information there. So, thanks again :wink:

But it’s the first time I’ve had a look at the forum, so it’s an opportunity to tell jonas that his work is spreading the good word (and good practice!): our club has started a “Neagari” project, and I sent the link to the various entries about exposed roots black pines, beginning with “https://bonsaitonight.com/2017/11/28/how-to-create-exposed-root-pine-bonsai/”. Though most of them can’t read English, the article is so well illustrated that it speaks for itself, and I can answer my friends’ questions.

We’re working with different species (elms, cotoneaster, etc, cheap material easily available for everyone), but basically the idea of using different sizes of particles in different layers will work for any species.

I put a couple of photos on our website -the text is in French, sorry, Nothing much done, we spent a lot of time experimenting with the new spotlights and backdrop a friend made, and then we were too busy with our own work to take more pictures, but I’ll update the page for those interested.

Here’s the link to the page. You’ll see a small black pine that I began to work with after reading your first posts on the subject in 2015 (one in the “Pringle” series :wink: ). It doesn’t develop as fast as yours, I should have fertilized it more I think.

http://www.rdb45.fr/index.php/techniques/38-projet-neagari

(Frank Corrigan) #2

Merci Beaucoup!
Thanks for sharing. It is neat to realize that bonsai enthusiasts world wide can share and support each other so easily in this way. The roots have developed very nicely. I also have incorporated a lot of Jonas’s ideas and notes in my Bonsai development projects.

(Jonas Dupuich) #3

Ha, I love the Pringles can!

Thanks so much for sharing - I like seeing the different varieties. Do share updates as I’d be interested to find out which of these varieties produces the best results!

(Alain Krizic) #4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So far, I’ve got a couple of “root-over-rock” cotoneaster - not exactly the same, but it’s rather similar.

I also tried some species that are easy to make from root-cuttings : apple-trees and elms.

I’ve also got a very small Acer burgerianum and planning to experiment more this spring.

AK

Very interesting project…and must say the use of a Laphroaig whiskey box caught my eye immediately as that is my favorite whiskey…!..hahaha
I really appreciate your idea of using various species for exposed root stock…
Tony

(Darlene ) #6

Alain…as one who admires the neagari style…kudos to your club for their projects. Wishing all success!