I’ve been aregular reader of Jonas’s blog for years now, and I’ve always found very useful information there. So, thanks again
But it’s the first time I’ve had a look at the forum, so it’s an opportunity to tell jonas that his work is spreading the good word (and good practice!): our club has started a “Neagari” project, and I sent the link to the various entries about exposed roots black pines, beginning with “https://bonsaitonight.com/2017/11/28/how-to-create-exposed-root-pine-bonsai/”. Though most of them can’t read English, the article is so well illustrated that it speaks for itself, and I can answer my friends’ questions.
We’re working with different species (elms, cotoneaster, etc, cheap material easily available for everyone), but basically the idea of using different sizes of particles in different layers will work for any species.
I put a couple of photos on our website -the text is in French, sorry, Nothing much done, we spent a lot of time experimenting with the new spotlights and backdrop a friend made, and then we were too busy with our own work to take more pictures, but I’ll update the page for those interested.
Here’s the link to the page. You’ll see a small black pine that I began to work with after reading your first posts on the subject in 2015 (one in the “Pringle” series ). It doesn’t develop as fast as yours, I should have fertilized it more I think.