Extremely large new leaves on cork bark oak

(Derick) #1

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice on my cork bark oak. I have lots of maples but only this one oak tree so am a bit unfamiliar with how it grows. The new leaves I am getting instantly in the last for days seem to be much much larger then the leaves that have been on the tree for about 2 years. Is this normal? Should I remove them to keep the leaves small?

(Raymond Mack) #2

Derick,

I don’t know anything about this species but until you get good advice from Jonas or other knowledgeable practitioners do not remove any foliage now. Let the new foliage give the tree strength and vigor. Cut back and defoliation (if recommended by those in the know) in some cases is done after the new growth hardens off.

This is not very comprehensive advice but at least you won’t compromise the health or vigor of the tree by waiting.

Also it depends on whether you’re developing or refining the tree. I can’t tell by the photos. Your tree looks nice and healthy though. Some species of oaks make such nice bonsai.

Best,

(Jonas Dupuich) #3

As the tree gains vigor, the leaf size will increase. This is normal. As Augustine noted, if you’re developing primary branches or want the trunk to grow bigger, leaf size isn’t an issue and you can let the tree grow.

Because the tree is in a relatively early stage of development (from what I can tell from the photos), focusing on branch ramification is the next step. Once all of the branches are in place the focus can shift to leaf size.

(Derick) #4

Thank you Augustine and Jonas! The tree is about 3 years old. It just seems to be growing extremely fast this year compared to other years. And again the leaf size is much larger then last year. It is wired into a rock. Here is another view of it from last year. Its’s pretty developed but I do want to develop some good branches on it. I take your advice and let it grow another year or two before being aggressive with pruning and wiring. Thank you very much!

(Jonas Dupuich) #5

Nice tree! Sounds like a good plan. When the new shoots harden off, you can prune and wire the branches in time for the next flush of growth. You can do this later in spring or in fall.