Fertilizing newly re potted trees

(BERT) #1

Jonas,

I just re potted some of my trees two weekends ago. I have kept them in a roofed area with skylight in our patio so it wont be exposed to the cold nights we have been having lately. I also wrapped the pots with towels. I plan to put them out as soon as our weather gets warmer. Am I doing it right so far ? My question is how many weeks after bringing them out can I start to fertilize ( assuming they survive ). I was planning to use a 2-4-2 fert to encourage root growth since I had to trim roots to either make them fit in the pots or the bulk of roots is too far down from the first branch (hence the survive comment).

Thanks,
Bert ( Vallejo)

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

The repotted trees can possibly go outside now - I only protect repotted conifers when temps drop below freezing. No need for towels either - the sun hitting the pots will help stimulate root growth.

As for feeding, I usually wait at least 4 weeks after repotting. And if you’re concerned about the health of the tree, I’d wait to start feeding until after you see evidence that the tree is growing.