Field Maple Cutting Stem Discoloration

(Darth Masiah) #1

i just guessed the donor was a field maple. anyway, i was wondering if i should use some of the Deconil i have on hand to combat what i think is some kind of fungus on the stems of these cuttings? im in Alabama, so it get dark and rains a lot. i took these cuttings on june 8th. dipped in dip n grow for five minutes and then under a dome. i took the dome off when they went all the way green around a month. around the first week of july i started seeing this discoloration on the stems. i had aready started feeding them at the end of june. theyve also gotten Recharge. yesterday i found one of them knocked over but it didn’t fall out. looking inside i saw a lot of white roots trying to touch the edge of the pot, so i know they have root balls already.
progression from june 8 till july 22

june 22

july 22

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Good question, I’m not sure what that is. The splotchy patches do suggest fungus or a problem with the roots. Is it possible the roots are staying too wet?

(Darth Masiah) #3

over watering is definitely what i believe led to this condition. there has been a lot of random showers and storms these past weeks. im going to try to get these guys under some cover so they can dry out better.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Sounds good. Am not sure if Daconyl can damage young tissue, but if you see no warnings, it could be worth a test on one of the cuttings. A zerotol dip could be another approach to try.

(Darth Masiah) #5

9/1/18
i sprayed these guys with deconil back in july and it seemed to stop whatever was affecting them. it might have came frome the moss i used to hold the cuttings up better in the cups. looks like the stems have hardened off some. looking forward to fall.

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

That’s great to see - had been curious how that’d turn out. Thanks for the update!