Flowering quince 3 yrs of progress

(Mateusz Hudzik) #1

Hi all

Today I’d like share with you one of my “fattest” shohin in my collection.

Tree originally was dig out of the garden in December 2015.

tree was potted to a bigger container with open soil mix

In 2016 most branches was cut back hard to achieve more compact and dense form (sorry but I didn’t take any photos)

November 2017

Spring 2018

Autumn 2018 (flower buds swell already - a bit weird)

December 2018 (in new pot)

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Ha, that is a fat quince. I expect the branches will develop pretty quickly as there’s such a big trunk and roots.

It also looks like the tree is budding back really well. I don’t think it will take very long to ramify the tree.

Thanks for sharing!

(Frank Corrigan) #3

Nice progression. I like the patience demonstrated in the improvement stages. looking forward to seeing further development.
How long was the quince in the ground to develop that base? Would i be correct in assuming it is a Chinese quince.

(Ανδρέας Γάβρης) #4

Amazing material.
I think you should have already wired the branches from the first year, before hardening. Then leave them free to grow.

(Mateusz Hudzik) #5

Is a very good question :slight_smile: i think is about 30-40 yrs old, because garden where i get it from was built between late 70’s and early 80’s.
This is Chaenomeles x superba (Japanese quince) but im not sure which variety, i’m guessing is “crimson and gold”

i try to avoid wiring this specimen because wood is quite brittle, i chose way to form by cut, i know this is a longer process but i have lots of time