Flowering quince 3 yrs of progress

Hi all

Today I’d like share with you one of my “fattest” shohin in my collection.

Tree originally was dig out of the garden in December 2015.

tree was potted to a bigger container with open soil mix

In 2016 most branches was cut back hard to achieve more compact and dense form (sorry but I didn’t take any photos)

November 2017

Spring 2018

Autumn 2018 (flower buds swell already - a bit weird)

December 2018 (in new pot)

3 Likes

Ha, that is a fat quince. I expect the branches will develop pretty quickly as there’s such a big trunk and roots.

It also looks like the tree is budding back really well. I don’t think it will take very long to ramify the tree.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice progression. I like the patience demonstrated in the improvement stages. looking forward to seeing further development.
How long was the quince in the ground to develop that base? Would i be correct in assuming it is a Chinese quince.

Amazing material.
I think you should have already wired the branches from the first year, before hardening. Then leave them free to grow.

Is a very good question :slight_smile: i think is about 30-40 yrs old, because garden where i get it from was built between late 70’s and early 80’s.
This is Chaenomeles x superba (Japanese quince) but im not sure which variety, i’m guessing is “crimson and gold”

i try to avoid wiring this specimen because wood is quite brittle, i chose way to form by cut, i know this is a longer process but i have lots of time

2 Likes