Ginkgo from seedling

(Luigi Dell'Orto) #1

Hi there,

I have started this Ginko from seed 3 years ago. It is growing very straight.

Has anyone some suggestions to offer in order to develop it like a bonsai ( I think kink of flame stile)?
Thanks

Luigi
IMG_4905

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Gingko are typically styled in upright forms with relatively large trunks. If you’re looking for a thicker trunk, planting it in a larger container or in the ground for several years would be the next step. Adding some gentle movement while the trunk is still young is another option.

(Luigi Dell'Orto) #3

Thank you for the advice.

Letting it grow freely will not result in a weary tall and straight tree ? How and when encouraging the plant to develop many other upright branches like in the photo?
IMG_4919

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

It looks like this tree grew, was cutback, grew more, was cut back more, etc. over a long period of time. The base of the trunk is large and the shoots are thin - it would be great to see the tree close up to see what scars, if any, are visible near the base of the tree.

I’d guess it would take a long time to develop such a tree in a small pot. To create something like this I’d plant the tree in the ground - or a large pot - and let it grow for several years. I’d then cut it back almost to the ground and then repeat the process.

What I don’t know is the best way to generate new shoots from the base. If I were to create something like this, I’d find a few ginkgo to start with and experiment a bit. Maybe some would simply grow for a few years, while others would be cut back every year.

It’s a beautiful style - I’d love to see more trees like this!