Grafting chisel and strategy

(zane mukai) #1

what size grafting chisel would be recommended for use on very old flaky bark jbp which has been neglected for decades? using approach graft sounds interesting too. thanks

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Grafting on old branches with lots of bark can be tricky. For thin branches I typically use a grafting knife to make the cut. For larger branches or the trunk, I’d use a chisel.

As for the size of the chisel, I try to match the chisel size to the size of the scion.

If the chisel is too small, a second cut may be necessary to widen the opening. If the chisel is too big, the opening will be a little bigger than it needs to be which isn’t necessarily a problem but could be if the seal around the graft isn’t good and water gets inside.

(zane mukai) #3

Since scions are tough on ancient old bark, i wanted to try 2 yr old seedling as approach graft candidates. As for chisels, 1/4" and 1/2" mortised recommended vs 4-7mm? thanks

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

I’ve done both approach grafts and scion grafts on pine and have had better luck with the scion grafts, though some of the approaches have worked too.

Getting a couple of sizes gives good options, though I’d focus on matching the chisel size to the size of the seedlings you are looking to graft as that’s your best guide.

The timing is also important. The odds start decreasing once the seedlings start growing. It’s too late to graft pine where I live but there’s likely still time in colder regions.