Grafting JBP on Canary Island Pine

Super excited to see graft taking and budding out. I grafted with JBP scions in late February five places on Canary Island pine and one graft has taken for sure and another seems promising. I had grafted last year with no takers, but this year used the cocoon method and one bud is breaking the the parafilm and another is still green and I’ve rewrapped to keep viable. Here are two pics of the graft that has taken and of the larger tree. I was advised not to buy the Canary Island Pine (for 10 bucks at sale) by bonsai professional that I trust and then his eyebrows lifted and he said "but you could try grafting with black pine). So I did. There’s one piece of foliage that seems to be JBP maybe grafted on by previous owner, and then the two I have done, all in the second photo. My question: since I plan to graft again next February and hope to get one or two more takers, when and how do I start transitioning just to JBP foliage, removing all the CIP foliage? I’ve cut some but not all of the branches beyond the new bud, hoping that It will get lots of energy. Any other advice welcomed!. Just super excited that I’m a successful grafter! In the meantime, I’ve seen a CIP with mature JBP grafts, and with the CIP trunk with the awesome bark and thickness. This looks possible, say within the next 10 years???

3 Likes

Wow, the graft looks fantastic! When it comes to removing the original foliage, it’s a gradual process. First you want to make sure the grafting is growing strong, Then you want to start reducing the existing foliage incrementally. Depending on how much foliage you’re removing, you may prune up to 3 or 4 times over 1-2 years. Cutting too much too fast can result in swelling or graft dieback.

Not cutting fast enough can lead the scion to grow weak so the process can’t be extended too long, but as long as the scion stays healthy, you can continue with the incremental reduction.