Growing cork oak!

(Fábio Mendes) #1

Good morning. already good new year. and many congratulations on your blog and work on bonsai. This year I’m going to collect a Cork oak. and I came here to ask how I can make the taper of a trunk with 5 fingers in diameter already with cork?[P_20181227_084932] [P_20181227_084938] [P_20181230_…

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Looks like the tree is off to a good start. The main task after collecting the tree will be to create the next section of the trunk.

If you want to keep all of the lower part of the trunk, select a branch near the top and let it grow for several years until it becomes about 1/2 as thick as the lower trunk.

If you want taper lower on the trunk, cut the trunk just above the section you want to keep and select a branch to become the new leader.

The main thing is to decide which section you want to develop and let it grow for several years (after wiring it) so it can thicken. This will provide the taper.

(Fábio Mendes) #3

Thank you for your explanation.
in your vision what would be your idea for this project?

my idea was something like that. but I am open to other ideas of course.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

The first thing I do is focus on the roots. Once there are a lot of healthy roots I see what sprouts and go from there. If I don’t get the shoots I want, I’ll try making a big cut.

The main thing to start with is getting the tree healthy and planted at the right angle. Once I know the angle and what the roots look like, then I think about the design for the rest of the tree.