Growing Pine Seed with Sand

Hi,

I got a few pine seeds and just to check can i grow them using just sand ~3mm diameters just for convenience as i think the regular bonsai mix i have is too coast.

what alternative do i have if this is not workable?

Also will breaking the shell helps to speed up the germinating process :slight_smile:

BR,

Pine seeds will germinate in sand. I have often used sterilized childrens play sand as a germination medium.
Other options include sifting other inorganic substrates to smaller size.
Do not crack the seeds that will simply destroy them.
Depending on the pine species and seed condition some stratification and prior soaking may be beneficial to germination. A quick internet search on one of the seed supply sites such as Sheffields will provide specific reccomendations for separate species.

Hi Frank, thanks for advice. Just planted the seeds and have to wait and see what will happen next…Rgds.

update as of 5/19:

Planted 15 seeds and only four successfully germinated but i’m happy as i was using ‘old rotten cones’ found underneath the pine trees.

Think it is time to re-pot and let me know if there is anything critical or i should take notes of.

1 Like

This is an opportunity to reduce the tap root when repotting and spread out the radial roots away from the stem.
Not too much at this stage as the stems are pretty thin. Use a mild fertiliser to help beef up the two seedlings after repotting.

Hi Frank, when you said ‘reduce the tap root’ did you mean just trim off the tapped root?

I suggested a reduction of the tap root, not removal. There is a process whereby radial roots are promoted with complete removal of the tap root. I was not suggesting that in this case.
Trim a portion off the bottom of the tap root leaving some remaining side shoots.

1 Like

hi Frank, thanks for the advice and clarity as i was to afraid to have a ‘total reduction of tap root’ fearing it might kill the plant instead :slightly_smiling_face:

Update 6/01:

Was surprised to see the root of the young pine planted with clay soil (A) and (B) sand. i really not sure will they survive after the potting so i just repot them on the new soil mix and cross my fingers that they going to survive :frowning:

Can someone tell me what went wrong or why the roots are not growing as i usually see in the forums as a lesson learnt before i go ahead with my next batch of seeding?

thanks all in advance and have a nice weekend !