Harland Boxwood with speckled leaves

(Vito Bitondo) #1

IMG_0574
Hi I’ve got a Harland Boxwood that the leaves started to get speckled a month ago as the temp here in Chicago started to cool down. I’ve brought it into a cool room (50 to 60 degrees) and grow lights. Wondering if this is normal for this species as we enter fall and dormancy?

Thank you
VLB

(Frank Corrigan) #2

One of my larger Kingsville Boxwood’s reacted exactly the same way to a quick frost two weeks ago. It was exposed on a higher bench to the wind when the weather changed. That is the first time i have seen this response, but it is also the first time it was exposed to -6 C with a light wind and no protection up off the ground. I have put it under protection in the greenhouse.

(Vito Bitondo) #3

It appears to be spider mite. Anyone have any suggestion of a spray they’ve used that was effective? Currently I sprayed an all purpose bug spray but looking for other options.

Thanks
VLB

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

What do the undersides of the leaves look like? Wondered if there are any signs of insects.

(Vito Bitondo) #5

Both on the top and bottom of the leaves I see red specks which I assume are spider mites.

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

A number of treatments work for spider mites - if that’s what it is - though I haven’t used miticides on boxwood so I don’t which would be appropriate (checking the label is the place to start).

(Frank Corrigan) #7

Out of curiosity I checked my kingsville boxwood and took a picture for comparison with yours. It appears to be the same, however i cannot find any evidence of spider mites. Here is the photo for comparison.IMG_0887

(Frank Corrigan) #8

To know for sure. Put a sheet of clean white paper under a branch and tap the branch lightly several times. Check the paper for small spots that move. My understanding is that the boxwood mite is usually green and approx 1/64 of an inch. They can be washed off with a flush of water. Treatments include horticultural oil and insecticidal soap. Both treatments less toxic than a miticide. The color may not be as important as the movement . If they are already dead, then treatment may not be Needed. If something is moving my first course of action would be to spray the plant thoroughly with water and then apply a light solution of horticultural oil . Hope this information helps. I am going to provide additional protection from the elements and wait for spring.

(Vito Bitondo) #9

I did the paper test and did see very small red spots that did not move. I had already sprayed it a few days ago with a general purpose spray. I plan on using an Neem oil solution the brand -Southern AG Triple Action Neem Oil- I’ll do this every 7 days for at least 3 or 4 weeks, so something like 3 or 4 treatments. Thank you for the response it was helpful doing the white paper test.

(Jerry) #10

http://www.google.com/search?q=powdery+mold&oq=powdery+mold&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.12..0i10j0l4.13932.28045.0.36602.15.13.1.1.1.0.204.1681.0j12j1.13.0…0…1.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp…0.15.1807.lGQTTZHB3FY

(Vito Bitondo) #11

Hi thanks for the link but this is definitely NOT mildew but spider mites.

THANKS
VLB