Hollow Trunk Satsuki Azalea progression

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum! I thought I would share my hollow trunk satsuki azalea. The variety is Eikan, and I purchased this tree from Dave Kreutz in the summer of 2009.

I didn’t do much to the tree the first year I had it, I was mostly just confused about what direction I should take the tree. Here is a photo the taken after fall cleanup in fall of 2009.

I was very unsatisfied with the branching on this tree. It didn’t seem balanced to me, so I started it over from scratch, cutting of everything back to the trunk in the spring of 2010.

The tree sprouted like crazy, and the following fall I selected the shoots I thought were best and wired them to get some movement going.

The next photo I have was taken in the summer of 2012. The branching is starting to develop with lots of patient and careful work!

After a lot more growth, the tree was cut back severely in the summer of 2014

The tree was wired, brushed, and cleaned up for the fall last weekend (Fall 2015) by my dad (president of the Bonsai Society of St. Louis) and Dave Kreutz. I’m really happy with how this tree is progressing. I think I’ll be ready to show it in a couple more years.

Since I’ve had it, this tree has been grown in 100% kanuma, with a thin layer of yamagoki moss on the top of the soil. It’s currently in a Sara Rayner pot for growing purposes only. The show pot will probably be a different shape and color, and be less deep!

Enjoy the progression, I have certainly enjoyed watching this tree develop over time!

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Wow, that’s coming along great - thanks for sharing! Looks like a good decision to start from scratch - I expect it’ll fill in quickly from here.

Thanks Jonas!

That’s what I’m hoping too!!! :smile: