How to Decandle Pine Bonsai

Hi Jonas,

Many thanks for your guide on decandling.
I just got my kyoto pine which the nursery claimed to be min 9yrs old already.
I would like to reduce/control the height, and add the same time promote more side shoots or lower growth. May i seek for your advice pls.
Am a newbie to bonsai, my previous bonsai failed.

1 Like

Hello, i am curious. Do you intend to keep this Bonsai Indoors? I believe the Kyoto Pine is marketed as an indoor Bonsai, produced in Japan and sold in Singapore gift stores.

Hi Frank, i intend to keep it indoor. Yes u r right, it was marketed to me as indoor bonsai n dun require much sunlight or water. Is this true?
Is my bonsai too tall? Hubby picked tis up

I understand it was marketed that way. Unfortunately in my training and experience pines require sunlight and the outdoors.
I notice that there is no mention of the type of pine in the advertising or if they were grown indoors. I am not aware of a pine variety that is suitable for indoors. The accepted practice is that most outdoor trees should only be kept indoors for a few days if on display unless considered a tropical species. And then certain additional humidity and lighting is provided.
Decandling requires that a pine be very healthy and growing vigorously. Although the root ball looks well developed the apex does not look like a vigorous candle in my opinion. Perhaps it would be best to care for the pine and see if it improves before trying to apply Bonsai techniques.

Ditto everything Frank said about keeping the tree outdoors! The tree looks like a five needle pine - a variety that doesn’t respond well decandling. If you provide a close-up photo of the tag that came with it that might help with the ID.

new to this site…just browsing but came across Jonas’ description that 5-needle pines do not respond well to decandling. Could you please elaborate…

Decandling can weaken and even kill five-needle pines if practiced over time as they don’t bud back well after the spring foliage is removed. Decandling works great on varieties like black and red pine.

Interesting Moon…stay on the conservative side and wait. I hate to wait, but I guess in the art of Bonsai, the medium requires an extensive supply of patience.
Gregory