Hydraulic Cart Modification

(Frank Corrigan) #1

I have always wanted the hydraulic cart to save my back. However i wanted it to be more versatile for outside use. From the garden bench to the workshop etc.
I removed the stock castors, ground off the fixed tangs ( back wheel mounts), and then mounted 10 inch rubber wheels. Fixed welded on the rear, Swivel mounted on the front. The conversion kept the cart level and functions very well.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Love it - super awesome!

Nice cart and great modifications! I want to save my back too. Can you share some of the details such as brand name, model# and approx cost? I saw some on Amazon in the $250-$500 range. Thanks!

(Frank Corrigan) #4

I purchased the cart and the replacement wheels from Harbour Freight. The wheels are 10 inch rubber. One set of swivel and one set of fixed. The two swivel bolt in the same pattern as the ones supplied on the cart. The two fixed required modification. I used an angle grinder to remove the brackets for the fixed wheels and grind down the welds for a flat surface. I then trimmed the base of the new fixed wheels to fit where the others were ground off. I had a buddy weld the new ones in place and used some Hammerite spray paint to finish off the welded area.
Haulmaster is the brand. Two sizes to choose from with different weight capacities. I chose the sturdier version 1000 lb. capacity, however the smaller 500 lb. capacity may be suitable. I work with some larger Yamadori so chose the larger,stronger version.
Hope this information helps.
Best in Bonsai

Thanks for the info Frank. I’m going to give it a try.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

One further important detail. Line up the back wheels to track in the same path as the front before welding. We spent considerable time checking that the alignment and width of the wheel base remained the same front and back.
This was to keep the geometry the same for balance and steering.
So modify the base of the new fixed wheels only after you have determined the correct spacing and the amount you wish to keep for welding purpose and alignment.
Good Luck, it is really a simple conversion actually.

(Ben Agresta) #7

Super helpful. Thank you!