I want to decorate my condo with Bonsai

(Linda Mercurio) #1

Hello all,
I am here to get some insights on how to decorate my condo with indoor plants. I purchased the condo recently from Scarborough condos. I moved in last week.
Though the builder offered the indoor plant decoration, I declined as I want to decorate myself. So after some research, I think Bonsai plants are the best option. First I thought of common ornamental plants like Anthurium, Asparagus fern, peace lily, and Peperomia. But when I visited one of my friends home, I changed my mind. She has decorated her whole home with bonsai plants. It looked lovely. They are so beautiful.
So, I am here to get some suggestions on bonsai plants that would look good and are easy to maintain. I am also looking forward to getting some mini-bonsai plants for my desk. So, any suggestions on that are also welcome.
While searching for the same, I came to know that succulent plants are beneficial for health. So, are they easy to maintain? Where do you think is the place to grow them in a condo- balcony, or nearby the windows?
Please let me know your suggestions.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

If you’re looking for indoor bonsai, I’d stick with tropical varieties like ficus. Brussel’s Bonsai Nursery is a good place to shop for these. If the trees will be outdoors, any temperate variety could work including elm, maple, juniper, plum, or azalea. Starting with a variety that looks good to you is one way to get started.

Succulents are easy to grow if the conditions are right. Jade plants are a common variety for bonsai.

(Linda Mercurio) #3

Thank you so much for sharing…
Yes, I am looking for indoor plants… So, any other suggestions??

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Any variety of ficus would be a great place to start. Ficus bonsai are often sold under commercial names like ‘Golden Gate’ or ‘Ginseng’. Some popular varieties, ficus and otherwise, include:

• Ficus nerifolia (narrow- or willow-leaf ficus)
  • Ficus retusa
  • Carmona retusa (Fukien Tea)
  • Schefflera sp. (Umbrella tree)
  • Serissa sp.