Japanese Juniper

I re potted my JJ a few months ago into inorganic bonsai soil from the potting soil it was in. The tree is recovering fine and showing new growth. However, I noticed that the tree is not fully secured into the pot and it does have the potential to “wobble”. Do i re-pot again and make certain the tree is fully secured or wait another year or two? Just concerned roots wont form if the tree is loose.

(Frank Corrigan) #2

Been There, Done That
My suggestion would be to tie the tree to the pot in its current position for this season with raffia or sisal twine. Without re-disturbing the repot. This will secure it for up to a year before the twine or raffia breaks down. make sure the trunk is not tourniquet tight though.
Trying to repot so soon will break a lot of rootlets and fine tips.

Thanks

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Another option - in addition to tying the trunk to the pot, you can try snaking wire up through the drainage holes and securing the rootball or use longer wires to secure a branch higher up.

Another fear I have is that the root mass may not have enough bonsai soil under it. The consolation I have is that it has been producing new growth.

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

If you’re worried about the roots, make sure to water appropriately. Checking the soil before you water is a good way to do this. If the soil is wet 1/4"-1/2" below the surface, the tree doesn’t need water.

I tend to over water (my bad). i use a moisture meter and measure to the center of the pot.

When is the proper time of year to create Jin and Shari ?

(Jonas Dupuich) #9

Jin and shari can be created anytime, though it’s easiest to remove the bark when the tree is growing quickly.