Japanese maple-big stump

Yesterday new “tree” joined to my collection. Originally tree grown in a very shady and wet area in a garden.
I washed the rootball from old soil and potted to bigger pot with cat litter to recover.

1 Like

Fun starting point. It’ll be interesting to see if new buds pop as the tree gains vigor.

Now the excitement off waiting to see where the buds break. Looking forward to the updates. It looks like a couple of possible buds are present in a preferred location. Centre top first picture.
Best of luck

1 Like

Looks like a great project, inform us on the progress.

tree already has 2 twigs visible on photos but like you mention, more will be better.
I will update with every change.

Hi all

Maple story update.

Because tree didn’t create buds above existing twigs I decided to cut stump a bit lower and start building tree from shots which grew freely in last summer (they grew over 2 foot). I hope that massive wound will heal in following season

2 Likes

Good idea!, consider growing out a couple of extensions to provide thread grafts or approach grafts in the vicinity of the cuts to aid in healing.

2 Likes

Any photo updates…!! Amazing looking tree.

Nothing really changed😆except the tree has leaves. i tried thread grafting but I failed (I’ll try again next year).
Tree is growing freely this season, I only cutted back very long shots from apex.
Big scars start to heal