Japanese maple ‘Kiyohime’ photo story

(Mateusz Hudzik) #1

Hi everyone

Today I’ve repotted my maple and I’d like to share story of this tree.

Originally was a nursery plant, potted into a big pot (about 70-80L). Couple yrs ago crown was damaged and only half of left alive.
I have this tree from spring last year.

Tree before any work

After initial cut back

After 2nd cut back in autumn last year

Size of Nebari

Work on roots in progress

Roots after cut back

Tree in shallow training bowl

Another step is a building a new crown.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Will be interested to see where the new buds pop.

(Mateusz Hudzik) #3

Exactly Jonas, it will be very interesting . In last year tree created just one little twig on one of those thick branches

Shape of the tree

Do you think I should cut this branch off to push energy closer to the trunk?

(Dan) #4

This tree has a lot of options for sure and many more to come by the looks of it. Keep us posted…!! I am getting into ground planting maples recently. Very helpful book I have found is (Bonsai with Japanese Maples by Peter Adams).

(Mateusz Hudzik) #5

Got that book. Excellent source of information.

(Frank Corrigan) #6

I would not cut the branch off as it is clearly represents the majority of the foliage at this point. At some point you will be close to using up the majority of reserve energy in the roots and this could seriously weaken the tree. I would allow the tree to gain this year and begin again in the fall.

(Frank Corrigan) #7

A compromise would be to reduce the area but keep that branch viable to produce for recovery of the overall. Just keep it from becoming too dominant.

(Mateusz Hudzik) #8

Will do Frank. Thanks for advise

(Jonas Dupuich) #9

I like Frank’s advice - I’d let the tree generate some strength before cutting the branch back some more.