JBP Candle Colour

(Drew) #1

So the below are seedlings in their third growing season… I have noticed that the candle colour on some of them are yellow instead of the green they can vary one seedling candle can be green and the one next to it yellow (see pics) what would you suggest causes this and how would you fix it?
They’ve all had fertilizer once a month and fish emulsion once a week:

(Frank Corrigan) #2

I think it would be helpful to know the seed variety you have used. The zone you are growing in, the amount of sunlight they are receiving and the substrate your are using to grow them in. The colour could be due to genetics, moisture issues, actually quite a number of variables. The pictures show pretty consistent yellow in the new growth on most of the plants. I have seen this in some varietals but not in any japanese Black Pine that i have grown. How were the seeds identified when you purchased or received them?

(Drew) #3

Hi Frank,

To answer your questions:

• I’m not sure of the variety I checked the packet and is didn’t specify exactly just that they where JBP seeds.
  • I’m told London is roughly zone 9 temps
  • They get direct sunlight from around 10am till 8pm at night
  • Soil is equal parts Akadama/Pumice/Lava

Previous years the new growth has been nice and green never as yellow as some of these. They did have a hard winter so maybe its just the result of that?

(Frank Corrigan) #4

Thanks for the info. Have you changed water supply or fertilizers this year? The comment that this is not the same as previous years in the same plants, leads me to think of a chemical change affecting the plants coloration.

(Drew) #5

No same water supply and fertilizer that’s why I’m a bit puzzled and am leaning toward the hard winter we had maybe?

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

Damage to new foliage is often due to a nutrient imbalance, too much or too little of something, or to a problem with the roots, either fungus, disease or infestation. The trees with bright yellow candles have somewhat yellow foliage below and some of the green candles look pale.

I might try checking the roots of one of the most yellow trees to rule out bugs and to check the health of the roots. I’d definitely avoid keeping the trees too wet.

Beyond that, I’d want to check if there’s a lab or agricultural department in a nearby university that may help identify the problem.

(Frank Corrigan) #7

Along the lines of Jonas’s suggestion, perhaps let them dry out fairly well between watering’ s . If there is a noticeable improvement then that will be a clear indicator to examine moisture issues.
Pines definitely like free drainage and dry feet.