JBP Needle length shorten

Hi , what is the technique to shorten the needle length of a JBP bonsai as i wish to keep my JBP bonsai as tiny possible after repot recently.

Rgds.

Depends, is your tree already to the desired trunk size? Is the tree still in development? Please post a few pictures.

hi CjLope4,
<

About 1cm and this is what i want to keep the whole tree tiny. see pic attached for your comment.
Rgds,

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

The most effective technique for making short needles is decandling. That said, Cjlopez4’s question is good - if the tree is in development (meaning, you want the trunk to grow bigger), the typical approach is developing the trunk first and then focusing on the branches and needles.

thanks Jonas, so should i continue to decandling if growing thicker trunk is not my objective at this state?

Rgds,

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

Yes - if you want to work with the trunk you have, I’d decandle every year the tree is healthy enough to do so (healthy buds, good spring growth, etc.)

(Ανδρέας Γάβρης) #7

I think you need to think again. The trunk is very thin and might add value to the tree if it becomes thicker. Also with thickening may seem less these bad signs of wire in the trunk.
If you let a branch in free development, as a leader, help the trunk to thicken.

(Ανδρέας Γάβρης) #8

You can wire the branches of the first node, make a new top the branch that I point to the arrow.
Let the old peak grow freely, to help the trunk to thicken, and after a few years you will sacrifice it.

To grow the trunk you need to let the tree grow grow grow. Grow a sacrificial branch or two to give the tree trunk girth. By letting it grow and not cutting candles you allow the tree to form buds all over the tree. Later you can cut the sacrifice branches, then begin the “short” tree.