JBP planted in no bonsai pot do I still cut back candles?

(Vito Bitondo) #1

IMG_0643

I recently re-potted my JBP from a bonsai pot to a regular pot in order to increase the trunk size. I understand that this will probably take a few years. My question is while growing in the regular pot should I prune back some of the candle growth or should I just let it grow “wild” until I’ve achieved the trunk diameter that I am looking for. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you
Vito

(Frank Corrigan) #2

Your primary trunk growth will come from letting the apex extend and grow until the trunk reaches the diameter you want. If necessary you can switch apical sacrifice branches during the process. You can decandle lower portions for development during this process if the lower branches have reached the thickness you wish for the design.

(Vito Bitondo) #3

Thanks for the insight.

(Frank Corrigan) #4

Your welcome. The sacrifice branch is still in place thickening the trunk and helping the tree stay vigorous while the lower design portion is being developed. The upper sacrifice will be removed when the trunk has reached the desired thicknesses. Here is a picture that illustrates a sample of what i am describing.