Jbp to remove old needles or not? That is the question :)

(jamie swords) #1

After you mentioned the removal of old needles the other day,Would you remove the older needles on my jbp jonas ?

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

It looks a little crowded (about time for fall cutback) but it doesn’t look like there are too many needles at this point. The big question is whether you are planning to grow the trunk thicker or begin refining the tree as is.

(jamie swords) #3

I would like the trunk to get thicker but don’t want the tree to get a lot taller, also would that affect wether to pluck or not?

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

The fastest way to get the trunk thicker is to let the tree grow much taller and then cut it back when the trunk reaches the desired size.

(jamie swords) #5

Cheers jonas​:+1::+1: do you think it would benefit the health of the tree then to remove needles? It’s my first jbp

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

I would do some cutback or thinning, and then some needle plucking. The goal would be to identify which branches will become sacrifice branches and which may be used in the final design.

I’d look to plant it in a larger container this winter/spring.

(jamie swords) #7

Thankyou for your guidance as usual jonas :+1::+1::+1:

(jamie swords) #8

I’m going to repot it in a colander I think jonas, how much larger than the current pot would you go and for new substrate would you go with boon mix?

(Jonas Dupuich) #9

I’d go about 2"-3" larger than the current pot. Boon mix would be great.

(jamie swords) #10

As usual jonas, thankyou :+1::+1: one last question, before winter or after?

(Jonas Dupuich) #11

As the tree looks strong, before would be fine, maybe next month. Don’t need to take a lot off, but enough to open up the inside a bit.

(jamie swords) #12

Thank you for you continual help :+1::+1::+1: I just need to find the right sized colender now​:ok_hand::ok_hand:

(Jerry) #13

(jamie swords) #14

Thankyou for the reply but that’s not the same as I was asking, that film is based on finished pariviflora needles that are ready to fall off and my query was removal of excess thunbergii needles to create more light and air around the tree​:+1::+1: but still thanks for taking time to respond :+1::+1: