Juniper help........please

(Justin) #1

Hello I have a juniper that isn’t looking too well. I think it’s spider mite but I can’t find any. I took a sheet of white paper and shook a branch to see if any mites would fall off, and nothing. Can you help me out with what might be the cause if it. It started about a month ago.

(bflin) #2

What type of soil do you use? Do you pinch your tree?

Parts of your tree looks like its growing vigorously. I think that’s a good sign.

(Justin) #3

It’s in Boon’s mix. It’s been a couple of years since I repotted it. No I haven’t pinched it. Just been letting it grow.

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

A pocket of old soil is the first thing that comes to mind. It also looks like the middle of the tree is somewhat weak. It could be that thinning the top of the tree where the growth is vigorous will encourage better growth in the areas that are shaded by the upper branches.

The top of the tree looks great, and I see no sign of infestation on the affected foliage.

Other than thinning the vigorous areas, I’d watch the water carefully and continue feeding the tree.

(Justin) #5

Ok thanks Jonas. Do you think I can repot it now and thin it up or just thin it up and wait on repotting it?

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

I’d wait until fall to repot as overall the tree looks pretty good. After some thinning near the top of the tree, I’d watch the tree closely. I’d expect some continued weakness through the summer, but if things take a dramatic turn, I’d consider an “emergency repot” before fall.

The main thing is when repotting, to make sure there is no old soil at the base of the trunk.