Koto Hime Japanese Maple Progression

i ordered this guy from Brussels bonsai. it was a four year old if im not mistaken. it was $50 well spent i think. i had been experimenting with native yamadori already and i wanted some more variety in my collection.

7/18/15

come on packing guy! Brussels wouldnt even answer my email about it.

12/6/15
i didnt know much at this time, but i did know i didnt like the nebari. Theodore(rip) didnt like it either. so i attempted a layer next.

6/26/16
it grew a little after i layered it.

1/2/17
well, i knew they could be layered now

4/22/17
i cut everything back to single trunk and started over.

7/14/17

2/2/18

2/24/18
cleaned it up a little and peaked at the roots

3/17/18

5/13/18

7/21/18
its been growing like crazy this year

9/7/18
the callus knocked the rest of the cut putty off by september. i think i finally have a plan for this tree.

2 Likes

Fun project - these trees are great if you have the patience to develop them. Bill Valavanis has great examples in his collection of what can be accomplished over a number of years.

Am enjoying the narratives - thanks for posting!

1 Like

2/24/19
cut back and repot. check out that nebari. i feel good about growing this guy out now that i got a fantastic base to work from.

3 Likes

Nice! Top right is my pick at this stage. With those being kept covered and continuing to develop the result should be amazing. It is nice to see someone taking the time to develop the foundation before rushing ahead.
Well Done.

1 Like

thanks for the kind words. i took these pics right before i finished hiding the roots again. i figured if i set the tree high and expose the roots too early i wont get the secondary roots to come out close to the trunk. i did shorten every strong root to encourage ramification. do you think 3 years would be enough time for a second cutback on the roots?

1 Like

I would be inclined to check the surface roots each year for ways to improve. More frequent cutback is more likely to encourage diversification of the root system. That being said let the actual progress be your guide. A more refined look rather than a plated base will likely suit the particular species.

1 Like

4/28/19
growing well

3 Likes

6/16/19
cut a few leaves to get a look at whats growing on. i want to cut back a few of these strong shoots coming out of a clump on top and focus on a new leader.

1 Like

6/17/19