Kotobuki Peculiarities compared to JBP

(Neli Stoyanova) #1

Are there any differences in decandling and cut back between JBP and kotobuki, when branch creation starts.
2 I got this ‘‘kotobuki’’ from Oyakata in Japan. He did not know the name but told me it is a new variety given to him to experiment with, Any idea what it can be. It is me who calls it kotobuki.

(Neli Stoyanova) #2

Middle one is kotobuki Right one is new variety. I was told to cut back only the strong shoots on kotobuki and not the rest, but for a second year now I am cutting back all of them at the same time. I had good back budding last year but maybe there is a better way to do it or I am doing something wrong?
I am posting URL of the picture ( dont know yet how to post pictures)

(Sely) #3

@Neli
Kotobuki happens to be one of my favorite cultivar. If left alone the top will grow very strong just like the regular JBP. I always decandling mine the same time as the rest.
I think northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere is about 6 months apart. So, the north decandling in June to July which means the south should be about December to January. But decandling is only half of the solution, the other is balancing the needles in fall.
As the following years decandling occurs, it will help balance the formation of the new candles. But since I’ve never been in the southern hemisphere I am unaware of its seasonal changes.

(Neli Stoyanova) #4

Thank you! So just the same as normal JBP.

(Sely) #5

Yep, I have about a dozen of them and grafted maybe 50 more. The lower the graft the better. They tend to bottle neck at the union site especially when the annual decandling occur, as the understock increase in thickness the scion does not. But if left to grow, the apical bud will become aggressively strong and ticker than the regular JBP

(Neli Stoyanova) #6

Now you have given me a great idea! I wonder if it will be possible to graft them on a tropical pine like halipensis. Unless I try I will never know, so I am going to graft some next month and will report how it all went.

(Sely) #7

It should work, it is in the pinus family. Let us know how it turns out.