Large olive yamadori

I collected a large olive stump last November and put in large wood box with pumice. The stump had shot up five or six talk shoots about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 6 or more feet tall. I trimmed those back to about 3 feet. I left an older branch of 3"-4" and 2 feet tall that had emerged from the old stump. Have watered throughout winter and spring. The small leaves dried out and nothing new is emerging, though when I prick with fingernail anywhere on the trunk or remaining branches, it’s green. There weren’t many roots on the stump when I dug it up. I’m contemplating removing from box and flat cutting the bottom to expose cambium that might grow roots. Any advice appreciated., especially before I take this drastic measure. The tree had grown on a hillside, and is therefore slanted on the bottom; I planted it in the box in a slant.

1 Like

As suggested, I would increase the level of Soil, Keep damp in morning sun and wait patiently! Olives can take some time to recover.
Best of luck.

Wow, that’s a big tree! It sounds like you’ve done well to date. The one thing I don’t know is if recently collected olives want full sun. My guess is they do as healthy specimens grow best when there’s lots of sun and the weather is hot.

Since you didn’t do the big cut on the bottom when you collected the tree, I’d wait until the tree is growing strongly before giving it a try.

Olives are very easy in the right warm climate. No need to touch the root ball now. Sometimes they can take up to a year or two to recover and push out new growth. It is important to keep the soil only slightly damp and the trunk/ branches moist. I have had success with large hardwood cuttings (8ins diameter). To maintain the high humidity level, enclose it in a black plastic bag (not touching the branches) and open to air every couple of days plus spray with water. Once the new buds appear increase the time of opening the bag, then after a few nodes appearing replace with a clear plastic bag. Keep out of direct sunlight at first, and gradually change position as the leaves harden. Protect from windy areas. Good luck