Live vein reduction: possible or too risky?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my project with you.

I own a young juniper and would like to reduce the live vein peeling the bark starting at the nebari and heading upwards.

Since the trunk grain is twisted, I am not sure about which path the shari will take and, in particular, if the shari can be technically directed along the lines I want it to follow.

My idea is to start from the base and I’d like it to end to a specific branch (marked with the chalk in the picture).

What do you think?

Your support is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Leo

(Frank Corrigan) #2

The safest approach is to start with a thin strip, shorter sections and eventually widen and lengthen over an extended period of time. A little bit every few months. This gives the tree time to adjust between sessions.
Your initial area drawn looks like to wide and even a section to me. Perhaps consider narrower and more movement within the Shari to mimic the tree,s movement and accentuate certain features like branch placement or change in direction. Just a couple of suggestions.

Thank you Frank for the suggestion.

Reflecting on your idea I have an additional question.

Since the safest way to approach the issue is peeling a thin strip, which, until the shari gets wider over time, will make the trunk look more artificial, my question is:

Creating a shari in the trunk was aimed at adding age to the tree (too young and bushy at the moment).

Is this the right technique in relation to this specific tree? I mean, will that kind of shari, placed in that specific section, actually add value to this tree or should I leave it alone?

Looking forward to hear your opinion on that.

Thank you,
Leo

(Frank Corrigan) #4

Difficult to say. I prefer to understand the overall design before making specific changes. Based on the apparrent damage to the base and the thicker branch lower right on the inside curve, I would probably consider it,s removal as a possible option first and incorporate that area into the Shari location as an option.
I may also make a decision on the overall height and how to deal with the apparrent straight sections initially as well. It is difficult to judge based on a picture without dimensions and seeing the tree first hand.
Generally I prefer to finish the other style decisions prior to creating Shari to complement the overall.
Hope these comments help.

(Jonas Dupuich) #5

What Frank said.

As for the straight section, I’ll often try to make one or more shorter, curving, sharis to suggest some movement even when the branch is straight.

Thanks to both of you Frank and Jonas,

Just a couple of clarifications in order to avoid misinterpreting your advice:

• Frank: You are basically suggesting to consider a shari starting at the base of the trunk, covering the lower part of the thicker branch (in doing so the branch would be split into half live vein and half deadwood) and ending in the apparent damage. When you write “I would probably consider it’s removal” do you mean a removal of the damage or a removal of the whole branch as part of the shari?

• What are the most common options to reduce the height of the tree? I think a trunk chop would be an option but I’d like to avoid the scar forming after the cut and the non-gradual transition from the thicker diameter of the trunk to the small branches.

Cheers,
Leo

(Frank Corrigan) #7

I was suggesting considering the removal of that lower branch.

Shortening could involve a major bend or trunk chop. If you trunk chop, you cannot avoid a scar situation and it is wise to remember that juniper heal slowly compared to some species.