Mame stolonifera accent plant.. how?

Hi all! So I was looking for around Pinterest and found this ultra mini stolonifera accent plant posted on the Japanese forum ameblo. I have a Mame stolonifera accent myself but in now way have been able to get the type of mini growth I’m seeing on this plant (only a leaf or two). Does anyone have knowledge on how to get the foliage so small and this dense? (It’s to the point I’m considering it being photoshopped :joy:) any thoughts or help is very appreciated :slight_smile::pray:

1 Like

Great question - I’ve never seen one that small! Would be cool to find some like that.

1 Like

I found some more pictures for those interested. Still haven’t got a clue how they’ve been grown so small and dense :sweat_smile:

1 Like

would either defoliation or partial defoliation produce this effect?

1 Like

I prune mine back sometimes to get rid of the big leafs that shade for the smaller leaves. The technique I have used so far is trying to have the a “mother plant” growing stolons and putting them in to a smaller pot to root. That pot would then be the actually accent plant. Its not and easy task. And in the middle of my accent plant I have an adultplant which takes up most the space in the small pot and i fear that will be a problem also because it doesn’t make small leafs. Anyways this is how far i’ve gotten with that (having just taken of some bigger leaf on both plants to make space but even with the middle sized leaf it does look like a nice little plant, i’m just trying to further minimize it).

1 Like

I may have inadvertently discovered an answer to this question.
I believe I have the same plant in a 4” plastic pot. It suffered in recent winds with the growing top completely decapitated. I stuck the top along the edge of the pot with the pictured result. The top leaves continue to grow without skipping a beat. I assume roots are developing.
Meanwhile the existing established roots are putting out new tiny leaves.
I suggest these plants require careful observation after cutting back. You may be able to time the small leaf production for your ideal exhibition season. Roots crowded into a tiny pot should also contribute to the production of smaller leaves.

2 Likes

I was just told by a bonsai enthusiast who often visist and did an apprenticeship In japan that it’s a dwarf variety of this strawberry stolonifera. But also mentioned that as you say more plants in the pot and pruning back the big leafs make for smaller denser foliage :blush:

2 Likes