Mealy Bug Control on JBP

(B) #1

Hello everyone - I’m in USDA Hardiness Zone 10a - North County Coastal San Diego. We have very mild winters, and this winter we finally had average rainfall, which really seemed to let all the insects out this spring.

I did a lot of repotting early this year, and overall the trees seem to be doing well. However, when spring hit, I started to get Mealy Bugs over the new growth on my JBPs. I started to control it with neem oil, and then as the weather started to heat up and the mealys started to really get moving; I have moved into using Bonide’s Systemic Insect Control. The mealys are still coming and I seem to be losing the battle…

My question is: what is the next step? With all this tender new growth after repotting, there is a lot of growth for the mealy bugs to get into. Can someone please recommend another product that I might not be aware of please?

Thanks for all the help ahead of time. B

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Can you post a photo of the bugs on the foliage?

(B) #3

Here you go Jonas, thanks for asking:

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

It’s hard to tell from the photo, but it could be adelgids rather than mealy bugs. If the label of the product you’re using covers adelgids (they’re similar to ahpids) then I’d expect it to be effective.

One thing that can lead to ineffective treatment with oils is when the insects and foliage aren’t completely coated with the oil as the treatment kills pests by smothering them. The label will have application details about how much to use and how far apart to space treatments.

Another approach is to try and blast off as many as possible with water to physically remove what you can before applying pesticides.

(Frank Corrigan) #5

My understanding of mealy bugs is that they target grain type plants!
Based on the photos I would suggest a product called Malathion if it is available in your area. Use according to directions on the container. I have found it very effective for sucking type insects on both plant and animal life. Very effective in the aquatic industry when used appropriately and not harmful to plant life at suggested concentrations. It can be mixed with neem oil.

(B) #6

Thanks Frank and Jonas as always. I will keep you guys posted on the progress of things over the next few months.

Cheers, Bret