Moth catapiller help

Hi All, I am having more than usual numbers of those little moth larvae that roll up leaves and make a little cocoon within. They are green, never more than 3/4 inch long, and make little brown pupae which are about 1/2 inch long. You can only find them when you unroll the leaves Just found 6 on one shohin! They only attack trees under the shade cloth in the more humid areas. Those conditions are good for the specific trees I have there, but also good for the moths.
What can I use to get rid of them, and how often/what season to apply it?
And does anyone know the name of this pest?

Thank you for any help!

1 Like

Hi Lisa. It would be helpful to post pictures of the cocoon and larvae to aid in identification. Also knowing what types of trees would help as well. I grow Carmona Microphylla indoor and they are pest magnets but are very sensitive to insecticides so you have to be very careful when deciding on a remedy.

Sorry to hear it! Here’s an article outlining two popular approaches to caterpillar control:
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2004/mar04/Spinosad.html

As for what it is, it could be one of many moths in the area. Often the larvae are impossible to distinguish by eye.

I feel like the leaf rollers have been bad the last few years here in CA. I’ve been finding them on conifers even this year, trying to roll up the pine needles or eating the new growth. Didn’t work out so well for the ones who tried it on the yew though (yew needles are poisonous)! I just check every week or so and remove them manually, but they can eat a LOT of foliage in a short period of time.

That’s my experience as well - they’ll eat pines, cryptomeria, everything. The best way to keep them under control is to treat the affected plants as soon as you see the first signs of damage and then monitoring the trees throughout the growing season.