Mountain Hemlock Yamadori Progress

(Frank Corrigan) #1

These pictures represent the progress of a Yamadori collected in 2012, acquired in 2014 and under development since then. I hope to have it show ready in 2020.(upload://9vTlDh1qGqKnSXjnwsyhG2qVgpu.JPG)

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Hemlocks are beautiful - and they develop so quickly! Looks like you’ll have no problem getting this into shape by 2020 :slight_smile:

(Frank Corrigan) #3

Spring 2019 update! Spring haircut and style in preparation for another year on the bench. Needed help with reduction of growth and unifying the flow! It’s great to have close friends with suggestions and the talent to go along with the suggestions. Needs to fill in and further develop pads for another year or two.

(Sunnie) #4

Hello, I love mountain hemlocks! what are you using for your soil mixture?

(Frank Corrigan) #5

The soil mix that i have used for all my collected trees follows this progression.
Upon collection they are put in pure pumice.
After recovery and during training development.
20 % Akadama
40 % Pumice
20% Black Lava
20% granite grit
I seive for particle size rejecting anything to large for the big screen in a set of three and rejecting the fines that fall through the smallest screen in the set. This leaves me with a fairly homogenous combination size wise for drainage, moisture retention and air porosity.
It is a drier mix than most and requires more attention to regular watering. I use sphagnum moss on top after repotting to slow down evaporation initially.
If you require more moisture retention, consider adding up to 5% bark of similar particle size. Also make sure to fertilize properly as the basic mix is inorganic.

(Sunnie) #6

Thank you Frank, I appreciate the info.