Mountain Hemlock Yamadori

(Frank Corrigan) #1

Here is a smaller Mountain Hemlock, under 18 inches. There is a picture of before and then the outcome after this morning. Two larger branches were removed and a few smaller ones with some thinning of foliage and wiring. I have included four pictures of all sides. Keep in mind this is a progression and only the second styling session.

side a|690x460

This is the front i have chosen for now. The tree will now rest and strengthen the foliage for the season.

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Looks great Frank - how I wish hemlocks did better down here!

(Frank Corrigan) #3

Thanks Jonas, it is a shame they did not do well in the San Fran area. Not too surprising given they prefer 4,000 plus feet and cooler climates. On the other hand you folks have a wider variety of Juniper to choose from:sunglasses:

(Frank Corrigan) #4

I thought some might be interested in my newest Yamadori. This Mountain Hemlock was collected yesterday in the high elevations. Some of the rocky outcrops were bare of snow, but the snow pack remains on most of the trails and forested ground. This is the very best time to collect conifers because they have not begun to come out of dormancy after the winter. When i repotted this morning and during collection yesterday i found charred remains of an old lower branch/trunk still attached below. Evidence of wild fire survival or lightning strike. The trunk definitely shows evidence of age and character.

(Jonas Dupuich) #5

Nice tree - will be fun to see where you go with the design when the time comes!

Very nice raw material. I can’t quite tell, are those back branches going to the left coming off the lower trunk, or off of that leader going up and to the right?

(Frank Corrigan) #7

They are coming off the lower trunk. It still has a few live branches higher up. I will post a picture of the other side. That will give a bit better perspective. Also the angle and front are not determined in either picture. I had to work with the way the roots fit into the flat best at this stage.