My plant needs some help

(Mike ) #1

Hello I’m new to this. I’ve own my first tree. Have had it sense June all has been good. But it seems to be getting brown, and loosing some leaves. I hope it’s not dying?
And how can I save it? Any Suggestions would be gladly appreciated thanks have a great day Mike

image|666x500

(Jonas Dupuich) #2

Do you know what kind of tree it is? It will also help to know where you keep it (indoors, outdoors, etc.).

It doesn’t look like the photo came through.

(Mike ) #3

I keep it outdoors but bring it in when weather get cold

(Jonas Dupuich) #4

Two things come to mind. Junipers can turn purple or brown when the weather gets cold. This tree can handle temperatures in the 30s, but it may respond by coloring up a bit. It also wants as much sun as you can give it. Bringing the tree indoors is stressful for the tree and is only recommended if it drops below freezing.

I’d also check the soil to see if the rootball is thoroughly wet when watered and that it starts to dry out a bit between waterings. If you dig down into the soil maybe 1/2" where some of the old roots are, does the soil look wet or dry?

(Mike ) #5

The soil seems dry. I’ve only brought it in because of freezing weather.

(Jonas Dupuich) #6

If the soil seems dry then it’s time to water. It can be worth checking the soil in a few places after watering too to make sure the watering is effective. Sometimes when the soil is compacted the water can run off the top of the pot leaving the lower levels of soil below dry.