MYKE=mycorhizza?

The post that I found on hinoki care, by Rick Moquin, suggests using “Myke” mixing into the soil prep routinely for conifers. I’m guesesing that he refers to mycorrhiza starter fungus. I have such but it is 15 years old. Well contined in a jar, but is it still usable?

I have no idea if it’s useful, but I can’t think of a reason not to give it a try either :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if fungi are still alive after drying or just still edible. Do we have other examples of living organisms that would remain active after being bottled for that length of time? Best-by date?

Don, only one comes to mind:

Tardigrades (/ˈtɑːrdɪɡreɪd/), known colloquially as water bears or moss piglets, are a phylum of water -dwelling eight-legged segmented micro-animals. They were first described by the German zoologist Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773, who called them little water bears

1 Like

The Mycorriza in a jar, I have used, have freshness dates. I was told that after 1 year they are half strength. After 15 years I doubt there is any benefit. I like to use Great White which I buy at the hydroponic shop. Compost tea is a wonderful option. I make a 55 gallon barrel in the spring and water all my trees with a diluted solution including my field trees