Please could I get some assistance on this recently purchased pine. Pines are not very common where I live (Pretoria, South Africa) due to various non plant related issues. (Not indigenous, controlled species etc.)
- Can anyone confirm that this is in fact a JBP?
- Any guestimates on the age based on the pic with the lighter for reference?
- We have mild winters here, usually in the June-August time-frame, average temps between 6-25 Celsius during winter with the odd cold snap coming down to around 2 or 3 Celsius. No snow here and hardly ever frost in winter. This is also the dry season.
Summer ranges from an average of 15 - 30 C from September to April/May and is also the rainy season.
- Based on the above, any advice as to maintenance needed for this tree? I was thinking of just watering/fertilizing until spring (Sept) and then perhaps have some work to do on this tree.
- Is the apical growth fine to leave as is until spring?
- Should the buds on the top be left until spring/summer as well?
Any further suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks