Pines react to warm cool and temp changes

I have a question regarding an experience that I just had with a number of pines. The day before yesterday the trees got a nice rain for a few hours. I had to be gone yesterday, so I stashed all of the trees in a horse trailer to protect them from high winds and a toad strangling rain. When I went to pull all the trees back out this morning, after a relatively cool night, the pots were all covered with condensation as the trailer warmed. I understand that process. But what I didn’t understand was the loosening or opening of all the sheaths and pushing needles far more than on previous days. My Ponderosa’s showed needle growth of about 1/2 inch . My
Mugos showed about 1/4 inch growth. All looked particularly green and happily robust.
Can anyone explain what phenomenon occurred here ? Is it one that could be employed to, possibly accelerate growth ? Kind of mystified by it. But I’ sure there is a logical explanation.
Appreciate any insight.

My first reaction would be the effect of increased humidity within the trailer and warmer environment for a longer period of time. ( trailer enclosed )
Green house effect, not sure if there are windows for light in the horse trailer or how enclosed it is.
Used to increase growth and extend seasons!

I’ve seen this too, but maybe not as dramatically. Warm, humid environments with low light (I think low light is the key) cause pines to elongate fast. I’ve seen this happen in trucks and trailers when transporting pines during the growing season.

I haven’t wanted to do this on purpose as I want to maintain shorter internodes, and often needles too, but it’s a good clue to how fast pines can move when they’re in the right conditions.

Thanks Jonas,
I have heard that if pines are put into the shade they will grow longer needles to try an increase their surface area. But I was surprised to see such a drastic change in 36 hours.
I have a copy of your book. Very well done. I enjoy it a great deal. Thanks for your response.
Tim

Yeah, that’s a lot of growth for a day and a half. It’d be an interesting shortcut if we could maintain that kind of extension.

And thanks so much about the book - I really appreciate it!