Pinus Brutia Eldarica

The candles seem to be elongating quite a lot for this time of year Inn SF Bay area this year…are these ready to be de-candled? Thank youfor your comments.
BTW…apparently the oldest living tree in Europe has been identified as a Pinus Brutia Eldarica growing in Monte Pollino Park in Calabria…estimated at 1230 years old!..this one is substantially younger and have had it since 1989 when I purchased it as a living christmas tree…

Wow, this guy’s going to town (and wow, 1230 for its Calabrian cousin!).

I’d decandle at the normal time as the time we’re measuring is how many days are left in the growing season. Whether trees are early or late in coming out affects whether or not we’ll decandle but doesn’t change the timing much.

Jonas Thanks…and yes it has gone crazy this winter & spring…
was amazed to see that item about the age of the one in Monte Pollino Park…!this one has another 1180 years to catch up…hahaha… yesterday found this great article with pics as well…
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/05/oldest-tree-europe-italy-pine-climate-science/
will wait to decandle at appropriate time. Thank you

Interesting cluster of cones from same branch…only one (not in pic) is from other branch… and yes I do know you recommend pulling off al nascent cones…but…hahaha
Thanks

Ah, it looks like the cones mature over two years. The small purple ones form one year and then they mature to full size in the second year.

yes…that is about what have observed…have a hard time bringing myself to t Thank youaking the little cones off this pine…hahahaha…

1 Like