Pinus Contorta Yamadori

This is a collected shore pine that has shown good recovery after collection in late August of last year. Roots are currently growing out the bottom on one side of the anderson flat. The challenge with this tree was survival, when collected there were very few roots on one side at the end of the trunk. Hence, it needed to be almost laying down to accomodate the few live roots. As it progresses i will slowly elevate the trunk for design purposes. This will involve developing a stable root ball to support the trunk in a more upright position.
I am thinking of a literati style to fit the way mother nature has shaped this tree already. The bark appears very old and the turns in the trunk unexpected! Here are a few pictures to share the unique characteristics of this yamadori. The last picture shows an adjustment i made today to help correct the rootball for more upright design.! I also cleaned up some dead twigs and old needles to better display the natural foliage after recovery. Please keep in mind that this is raw yamadori material with no design work attempted.

For some reason only the last picture uploaded.

The bark has fantastic texture and I see some naturally interesting branch movement going on. I can’t wait to see what you do with this material over the next couple of years!

This is great - another read-made tree! I suspect that will be fun to work with. Will be curious to see if the roots give any trouble when it’s time to repot into a smaller container.

Absolutely thrilled to find it, and to have such age expressed in the bark. A little bit like winning the lottery. Worth every bit of the search. Yes, the key will be the root development to allow the elevation change! That is why, i was so pleased to see white roots extending out the bottom of the anderson flat on the one side. Will be the challenge to address, while strengthening the tree overall. As noted by the wire, i had to get creative for support while forming a rootball. Next repot will involve repositioning some roots. There is a smaller version growing in the native soil at the base, perhaps an approach root graft.

1 Like

This is a beautiful tree, what a great find. Bunjin/ literati is my favorite style and this tree just makes me happy. The bark, the shape…I just can’t get over this tree right now. I am very happy for you and can’t wait to see how it progresses.

Thank you, It has responded very well and i will be positioning some branches this fall to begin design. Will use the guy wire approach to protect bark. The branches will bend fairly easily with this species but it is tricky to do while preserving the exterior bark.
Will update with a picture after the work is done.